Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hump day inspiration.


"Graffiti is revolutionary, in my opinion and any revolution might be considered a crime. People who are oppressed or suppressed need an outlet, so they write on walls—it's free."- Terrance Lindall

Some call it vandalism, some call it art. I am lead to believe the latter.  Don't get me wrong, there are tags and other forms of graffiti that are absolutely hideous. But some of the graffiti you see these days is an art form worthy of being displayed in an exhibition - like The Brooklyn Museum did in 2006. Twenty-two artworks by New York graffiti artists were displayed at the Museum in hope that people would rethink their assumptions about graffiti. They were trying to show that graffiti is worthy of being ranked amongst other forms of visual art.  Then, in March and April 2009, 150 artists exhibited 300 pieces of graffiti at the Grand Palais in Paris. This marked a clear acceptance of the art form into the French art world. And so it should. The amount of effort these artist put into their works should be recognised.

I think it's pretty clear to you now I love street art, what ever its form. Graffiti always catches my eye. I like that It tells a story like any other art form. So there you have it, a hump day post from me to you.



Street Art from Tel Aviv-Yafo (City in Israel) 
That city seems to be filled with rad graffiti.


 
 
 
Images: Courtesy of telavivstreetart

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys! Thanks so much for following! If you drop me a line be sure to leave your url and I'll come and check your blog out! :-) X